Mental Health Care in Education

School-based mental health services are delivered by trained mental health professionals who are employed by schools, such as school psychologists, school counselors, school social workers, and school nurses. One in six U.S. youth from ages 6-17 experience a mental health disorder each year, and half of all mental health conditions begin by age 14. Only fifty percent of youth get help and receive mental health services for their diagnosed mental conditions. That is one major driving cause of why having mental health care options and accessibility in schools to give children access to the help they need is crucial. If students do not receive the health they need, their conditions can get worse, and harder to treat. Untreated or inadequately treated mental illness can lead to high rates of unemployment, school dropout, substance use, arrest, incarceration, and even early death. Suicide is the second leading cause of death, and schools can play an important part in helping and providing a connection to mental health care early and investing in the youth in communities.  

This shows what could be going on in a student's head while at school
In my school experience, my counselors helped me get through a lot, and I do not know what I would have done without them. If they were not there my experience in school would have been much different. I could not imagine not having access to mental health services at school, and it can be many students' only place to receive these services. After I get my degree in education, I plan on getting my degree in counseling because I think it is such an important and crucial job in schools, and they inspire me. They do much more than schedule classes and post grades, they offer much-needed services to a youth that needs them. Mental health services are a must in schools. 

Comments

Popular Posts